Manama / 15 September 2019
Head-Professional Development Advisory
Mobile: +41 78 810 3581
Phone: +41 44 585 2775
The International Project Management Officer (IPMO)® is the most important industry-recognized certifications series for professionals working in or associated with PMO activities and services.
The Foundation level certification is targeted at the PMO team member, project team member and any stakeholder involved in a project. It sets the foundational knowledge required to understand the mechanics of projects, programs, portfolios and PMOs, and how to become a competent PMO team member of a project, program, portfolio, and PMO.
Certified IPMO Foundation members have demonstrated, through a combination of formal training and competency assessment, that they have both PMO knowledge and skills within one or more PMOs.
This course brings together the latest in research and best practices into a PMO lifecycle framework that focuses on PMO capabilities especially for projects programs and portfolios; your role(s) in running, monitoring and controlling a PMO; and what exactly is PMO success, PMO maturity; and how both are connected, including their influences on project success.
You will learn to view PMOs in terms of services and the associated supporting capabilities (tools and techniques coupled with personal competencies). A core set of PMO capabilities are covered including the techniques and the personal competencies required per capability.
This course is also designed to be hands-on, encompasses the day-to-day operational aspects of PMOs by detailing the challenges and best practices to improve the running, monitoring and controlling of a PMO. You will walk through the PMO documentation plan to gain an understanding of the key PMO document deliverables some of which are external to the PMO and others which are generated as part of the PMO lifecycle. Your focus will be on the six registers that a PMO is responsible for, the PMO services and capabilities catalog, PMO operational handbook, PMO reports, component reports, and change requests.
During the course, there are many exercises as well as a course-long case study that can be used to help to embed both PMO and project concepts in a story based industry example.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- PMO/Project/Program/Portfolio team members
- Junior PMO or project managers
- Project team members involved in the PMO related activities
- Project/program/portfolio managers with some experience in PMOs
- Any project or PMO stakeholder wishing to better understand how to run, monitor and control a high performing PMO
- Understand how PMOs fit into the world of projects, programs, and portfolios
- Understand the benefits of viewing PMOs in terms of services
- Know what are PMO capabilities, how they are constructed in terms of competencies, tools, and techniques
- Understand the PMO lifecycle framework and which phases and processes are most relevant for a PMO team member
- Learn the key PMO tools and techniques including templates you can take back to your organization
- Understand what are the key documents PMO use to run, monitor and control PMOs
- How to be confident in knowing what to do in the majority of PMO configurations
The training approach includes:
- Team exercises
- Group discussions
- Detailed four-day Simulation Case Study
- Presentations and role play
- Exam preparation
- Exam – 1 hour with 50 multiple choice questions
- Module 1: Introduction to the IPMO-Foundation
- Module 2: Building the Context and Need for PMOs
- Module 3: PMO Lifecycle Framework
- Module 4: Developing Capabilities and Services Within the PMO
- Module 5: Run, Monitor and Control Services Within a PMO
- Module 6: PMO Success and PMO Maturity
- 5 Day Case Study
Dr. Robert Joslin – Professor, Founder of the Association of International PMOs and the co-author of the AIPMO body of knowledge©, PfMP, PgMP, IEEE, CEng is a project/program/portfolio management consultant, instructor, and academic researcher. He has 20 plus years in designing, initiating project and program management delivery of large-scale business transformation, reengineering, infrastructure, strategy development initiatives including winning prizes for ideas and product innovation. Previously, he has been a consultant in wide-range of industries including telecom, banking, insurance, manufacturing, and direct marketing whilst working for McKinsey & Co, Logica and his own consulting company.
Robert has published many books, chapters and research papers in the field of project, program and portfolio management and presents his research at conferences such as PMI research and the European management conference (EURAM). He won the best paper award for EURAM – PMI and IPMA conference in 2015. Robert is the founder and organizer of the annual PMI Swiss program management conferences which is the biggest PMI event in Switzerland where researchers and senior practitioners present their latest findings.
In addition, Robert is a peer reviewer for research papers submitted to PMI’s Project Management Journal and the International Journal of Project Management, which are the top two research journals for projects, programs, and portfolios. As a trainer/coach Robert has trained many PMO, project and program managers in Europe, USA and the Middle East including using in his own developed PMO information structuring methodology aligned and complementing the PMI standards. Robert in the process of authoring a book on Portfolio, Program and Project management Success Factors based on ten years of academic research.